Who We Serve
Welcome to our website. We are SEEC LLC (an acronym for Social, Environmental & Economic Consulting) and this site is designed to provide the following professionals in the residential real estate sector: appraisers, real estate agents, developers and builders with the education and information you need to evaluate the growing markets for green, energy efficient, high performance homes and retrofits from the perspective of value in the Pacific Northwest. Click here for our Mission Statement.
Values and Sustainability
The things to which we attribute monetary value are directly influenced by our social values. Our social values are revealed every time money is spent. Our values are shaping our world, which in turn is causing more and more people each year to re-evaluate their values. Values are not static. The dramatic growth in the green building movement in the West over the last decade is an example of a major shift in social values that is currently underway. Does this also mean how we value is changing/should change also? The Vancouver Valuation Summit in 2007 hosted many of the major European and North American valuation organizations out of which an agreement was made to address the interrelationship of value and sustainability.
How does this affect you, the professional, working within the construction industry? Well a lot. What we can build for and what the market will pay is the hard economic story behind the construction, buying, selling and financing of homes. And the game is changing because consumer preferences are changing. You need to be clear on the forces that are driving the green trend (outside of cheerleading), understand what green building is and you need objective, neutral, market relevant information with which to guide your business. For instance:
- Learn what consumer and population trends are revealing?
- What are Multiple Listing Services Sales Data in this region showing? Are buyers really paying more for green and energy efficient homes? In all markets analyzed?
- Are there credible local case studies being conducted?
- Learn how your peers are handling green appraisals.
- What are valuation organizations saying about valuing green and energy efficient buildings?
- Appraisers and Agents, do you have the knowledge to clearly identify the differences between a green and/or energy efficient new or retrofit home and a code home or older home? Would you even know if you were being green washed? Take a class.
- Agents, do you know that your ability to clearly identify and present the benefits of green features has a direct effect on the sales price achieved? Are you clear on what you can and cannot talk to an appraiser about under Fannie Mae’s Appraiser Independence Guidelines that came into effect April 2011? These guidelines are essentially the same as the Home Valuation Code of Conduct that was sunsetted under the Frank Dodd Finance and Reform Act. (See video).
- Developers, do you know which green and energy efficient features to package together in order to maximize the value of each home within a development?
- Agents, do you know how to complete environmental check boxes on Input Form 1A correctly? Mistakes can cost you and your client dearly.
- Builders, why do you sometimes not see added value for your green home and/or energy efficient home? Have you really built added value?
We will not only inform you of latest data and trends, but provide you with a neutral forum for discussion around appraising green and energy efficient buildings.